Smoking tobacco has been linked to many illnesses in the past, and recently many wonder if hair loss can also be linked to smoking. In a recent study there was a connection between smoking and male pattern hair loss. It was not clear if there was a direct link or if the hair loss was as a secondary effect from other diseases associated with hair loss. But in general tobacco use can have a negative effect on the hair follicle and hair scalp. At Meshkin Medical Hair Restoration clinics we help our clients understand the negative effects from smoking on the hair shaft and the scalp.
If you are a smoker, you may be at a higher risk for premature thinning as the chemicals in tobacco make it harder for the follicles to stay healthy. The following are some of the ways that smoking can affect hair loss:
1. Smoking can cause increased thickened blood flow to the hair follicles. This reduces the amount of blood flow to the hair follicle which would cause hair to not get enough nutrition and premature shedding.
2. Smoking can affect the overall hair characteristics of the hair shaft. If the hair shaft doesn't get the necessary nutrition due to lack of blood flow, the hair starts to get brittle and causes hair loss and thinning.
3. Lack of Oxygen or blood flow to the hair follicle can also cause premature graying in some cases.
4. Smoking can also increase chances for many systemic diseases which may also contribute to secondary blood flow and lack of oxygen to hair follicles.
5. If a patient is susceptible to Male Pattern Hair Loss, smoking can facilitate an immature hair thinning process.
The good news is many of the effects of hair loss due to smoking are reversible if one stops smoking. Many of the hair characteristics such as dry hair and dull hair will return to normal after one quits smoking. In general the best way to improve hair loss and hair characteristics after smoking is a lifestyle change which includes good nutrition and exercise to increase nutrition and blood flow to the hair follicles.
if you are a smoker and are experiencing hair loss, the first step is to contact a hair loss specialist . At Meshkin Medical Hair restoration Centers in Newport Beach and Los Angeles Hair Loss centers, Dr. Meshkin will do a thorough evaluation and recommend ways to improve ways for hair growth. In some cases a change in lifestyle and Medical hair treatment helps is a viable option for hair growth. If hair loss is permanent then a surgical hair restoration solution may be recommended.
Dr Meshkin is honored to be recognized as a designated long standing member of ISHRS by his peers and also be certified diplomat by ABHRS for his knowledge and skill as a specialized hair restoration surgeon. He is also a verified Hair restoration specialist on Realself. Clients can see hundreds of before and after photos on www.meshkinmedical.com and on yelp and follow him on social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and TikTok.
To find out more about your hair loss, visit one of Dr. Meshkin's hair transplant and hair restoration clinics in Los Angeles or in Irvine locations. Dr. Meshkin will use the latest techniques and give the best hair restoration recommendations customized to your needs and concerns.
If you are suffering from hair loss or hair thinning you can contact us at (949) 219-0027 to schedule for a consultation or visit our website at www.MeshkinMedical.com.
If you are suffering from hair loss or hair thinning you can contact us at (949) 219-0027 to schedule for a consultation or visit our website at www.MeshkinMedical.com