Due to its progressive nature any hair treatment option should be offered considering future hair loss. A great hair restoration specialist would consider future hair loss and offer a comprehensive approach. In many cases a combination of hair transplant surgery and medical hair treatment is recommended. Although there are no miracle cures for hair loss, there are some FDA approved hair products and medications that may help. These products and their effects should be discussed with hair restoration specialist before considering using them.
The following are the best hair treatment options other than surgery offered at Meshkin Medical Hair restoration Clinics:
1. Finasteride (Propecia™) is an oral medication available by prescription only, having been introduced to the market more than a decade ago. Finasteride is approved only for use by men. Through scientific studies, it has been shown to re-grow hair in some men and stop hair loss in an even higher percentage. Finasteride works by decreasing the formation of DHT, a hormone responsible in large part for male pattern hair loss, while not reducing testosterone, the overall male hormone responsible for masculinity. Therefore, any side effects that may involve male sexual function are mild and occur in less than 2% of all patients. Its use is suggested by hair restoration surgeons as an effective medication to slow down or reverse male pattern hair loss in many men. It is often used as a complimentary treatment for hair transplant patients.
2. Topical Minoxidil (Rogaine™) has been around for over 15 years and is helpful in slowing down hair loss, but less effective in helping new hair to grow. A higher concentration (5% solution) of minoxidil is now available for men and has been shown to be more effective than the 2% solution. 5% minoxidil solution is generally not recommended for use by women because it may stimulate the growth of facial hair, and also because at least one study suggests that it is not more effective than the 2% in females. There is a compound solution that is formulated by Dr. Meshkin that includes Minoxidil at higher concentration and other ingredients that helps and is effective for both men and women.
Both finasteride and minoxidil must be used on a continual basis in order to sustain results. If discontinued, the process of balding resumes. These medications may not work for everyone but they have a proven track record that shows some benefit to many people. In addition, combination treatment with minoxidil solution and finasteride may provide added benefit for men with androgenetic alopecia.
3. Other Topical Medications are available such as Tretinoin, Diazoxide, Cyotcol, Progesterone, and topical Estrogen. These medications have been used in the past for the treatment of hair loss.
4. There is also different shampoos, conditioner and vitamins such as Zinc, Biotin, B complex E, C and Iron that may help keep the overall condition of the hair healthy.
5. Low Level Laser Treatment (LLLT) is available for treating hair loss. To see any results, it must be used up to three times a week, each time for 20 minutes for about 6-12 months. These are more effective if used in conjunction with Minoxidil or Propecia™ and are considered to be safe. However, the long term effectiveness and its safety need to be further investigated before the use of the device is substantiated.
6. PRP therapy has gained popularity as a non surgical treatment option for men and women in the initial stages of hair loss. PRP is a concentration derived from clients' own blood, It has growth factors that stimulate hair growth when injected into the scalp. Usually Doctor draws patient's own blood and run it through a machine to separate the platelets. Once the platelets are separated hair restoration doctor with numb the scalp and then the Plasma cells are injected into the thinning hair.
7. ACell is a protein matrix that when injected into the scalp recruits the body’s own intrinsic growth factors and healing proteins over a period of several months. It is suggested that the combination of ACell and PRP provide a continuous supply of growth factors to the native hair follicles for several months. The combined treatment of highly concentrated PRP and Acell is suggested improved hair growth over time. Repeated treatments are necessary and they are mostly effective on patients at initial phases of hair loss.
Dr Meshkin is honored to be recognized as a designated long standing member of ISHRS by his peers and also be certified diplomat by ABHRS for his knowledge and skill as a specialized hair restoration surgeon. Dr. Meshkin is also selected as one of 100 doctors in the nation to receive the prestigious RealSelf 100 Award, out of nearly 13,000 board certified specialists with a presence on RealSelf, for 2015 and 2016. To find out more about your hair loss and be evaluated for non surgcial hair loss treatment options, visit Dr. Meshkin's hair transplant and hair restoration clinic at Newport Beach and Los Angeles locations. Dr. Meshkin will use the latest techniques and gives the best hair restoration recommendations and advise that is customized to your hair loss needs and concerns.
If you are suffering from hair loss or hair thinning you can contact us at (949) 219-0027 to schedule for a free consultation or visit our website at www.MeshkinMedical.com.